When looking for a home, you might be wondering if it’s better to go with an older home or a newly built home. There are many factors to consider when making this decision such as price, amenities, functionality, maintenance costs, aesthetics and location. The best thing to do is to sit down and make a list of factors that are most important to you. This will help simplify your decision in the end.
Congratulations! You’ve purchased a new house! Now it’s time for the not-so-exciting part…unpacking and settling in. Here are 10 tips for making this transition as smooth as possible.
- Fill out a change of address form at the post office.
- Transfer your utilities and services such as electric, gas, water, cable, phone and Internet.
- Secure your home with new locks and a garage door code.
- Check the smoke and CO2 alarms in the home.
- Find your home’s circuit breaker and make sure it’s clearly labeled.
- Unpack your priority boxes first.
- Establish an unpacking plan. It’s usually best to unpack the kitchen and bathroom necessities first.
- Get to know your area. Figure out where the grocery store, gas station, bank, hospital and post office are. It’s also beneficial to find a new doctor and dentist as soon as you can.
- Get to know your neighbors.
- Relax and enjoy your new home!